Monday, January 31, 2011

Its been awhile. Here is a recap of the previous week!

Not much has happened in the last week.  I have planned a trip with some friends to travel to Stockholm, Sweden this upcoming weekend. We learned quickly that many European airports maybe named after a city, but can be a long drive from the actual city.  We are staying in a very nice hostel (supposedly).
I took my first trip to an open-air market on Saturday. There were so many types of pasta!!! Different  shapes, sizes and colors. I also saw an astonishing amount of different types of dried tomatoes.  Here are some other things I saw.
 Pasta, pasta, pasta!

Veggies

Later, we went to a restaurant near our apartment. I decided to blind order and get something I had never heard of which happened to be Tonnarelli with mushrooms, peas and ham in a cream sauce. I’ve never consumed something so delicious!

Antipasti: Fried Vegetables & Caprese 

We also explored our apartment building and were able to get to the terrace on the roof.
Sarah

After, we spontaneously took a trip to Trevi Fountain. With the spontaneity flowing, we got on a random bus. Little did we know it was going in the opposite direction from the fountain. We eventually asked a local for directions (Italian encounter #1). He told us where to get off and get on the metro. We did so and met two more men who explained to us how to get a ticket (encounter #2). After getting off the metro, we met three older gentlemen (encounter #3) who insisted on throwing one coin in the fountain to return to Rome, another to get married and one more to get divorced. They could have been from The Godfather. Down the road we met Victor, the Italian dog, and his owner (encounter #4). Next, we magically found the same gelateria that Donato took David and I to….of course this resulted in a gelato stop and more verbal directions (encounter #5). We then overheard an English speaking couple looking for the fountain and decided to ask (encounter #6). Finally, with the pointing from a police officer (encounter #7) we heard water and found the fountain. Shortly after we arrived it began to pour which removed all other visitors. We made our eighth and final encounter with two locals who helped us get home. If you come to Rome, go to Trevi Fountain at night. It is beautiful.  And again, learn the bus routes. And don't be afraid to make new friends.

Fontana di Trevi

Today, my first class got cancelled so I found a hidden terrace at our university, sat in the sun and did homework (perfectly clear sky, 57 degrees). I then attended one class and proceeded to my last class to find out it was cancelled as well. I finished my day with the best pizza I’ve ever had: zucchini and mozzarella. Rough day.

It was very sunny out.

1 comment:

  1. More pictures please. The market looks wonderful and everything is fresh. Hope you're learning to cook some great Italian meals.

    ReplyDelete