Thursday, January 20, 2011

Italian School

School has started and I already have homework. I guess I was a little too optimistic when I thought they would give us a week. Nothing too exciting has happened yet this week. My roommates and I frequent a restaurant called Le Fate. They have a student menu that consists of anitpasti, primo (first or in this case, the main dish), dessert and at least one (if you're lucky, possibly more) glass of wine all for the price of 10 euro (around $13-$14). The menu changes everyday, but if you order the student menu there are no options; you eat what is being served that day. We really like it there because it is family owned and the mother of the cook enjoys talking to the students (even though she only speaks Italian). 

I am working on my cooking abilities (they were non-existent when I arrived). I am also planning on taking a cooking class through the university. The instructor is the cook from Le Fate. Another place we enjoy going to is a gelateria (a small shop that sells gelato) that is behind our apartment. I would try other places, but I like their gelato too much to stray away. My favorite flavor thus far is Nutella, but I still have three months of tasting to do. Nutella is a chocolate hazelnut spread that is very popular in Europe, especially Italy. I have found that is used in many Italian desserts. If you haven't tried it, I recommend taking a trip to your nearest Walgreens and trying some on a slice of bread or with a banana. 

On Monday, David and I decided to surprise Donato at his station. I should correct myself too; Donato is a marshal for the Carabinieri, not a police officer. Supposedly, marshals do investigative work. Later, I accompanied David and Donato to a small pub. Donato wanted to show David how Italians watch soccer games. It was comparable to a typical pub except there was a lot more drinking and a lot more singing. 

Today, Sarah, Auriel and I are going on an adventure to get our books and to find a Burger King. We decided we wanted some American food.

No comments:

Post a Comment