Sunday, January 16, 2011

Donato...the Italian police officer

Friday started with a required Orientation. Soon after I met up with my friend David who happens to attend Lewis with me back at home. We have already been good friends and coincidentally both chose to study abroad in Rome. David invited me to have coffee with his friend Donato who he met the night before at a bar. I was slightly hesitant after hearing about Italian men and different scams. I decided David could not go alone and I agreed. Ends up Donato is a police officer and possibly the most respectable Italian in the city! He took us around all day through the city and showed us many different attractions along with his favorite place to get gelato. It was really interesting to hear a local's opinion of different places in Rome. Eventually, Donato had to go to work and we went or separate ways. During our tour with him here are some things we saw: a priest on roller blades, the Spanish Steps, the Pathenon, the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, Trevi Fountain and so many other things!

On Saturday Auriel (my roommate) and I started our own walking adventure and soon met up with David again to continue it. David showed us his apartment. My roommates and I are finding that we have one of the best apartments. David has a very long commute (30 minute walk) and also has a much smaller apartment,  but also only has three roommates. He lives very close to the Vatican which is why we spent half of our afternoon there. It was amazing! There were so many great views, but unfortunately we did not see the Pope.

After walking through the Vatican, we made our way to the Castle Sant Angelo. We made our way to the top to view, in my opinion, the best views of Rome. If you have a Facebook account I put all of the pictures I took in an album.

Saturday night we met Donato for dinner at his favorite restaurant. Here, we ordered an antipasti sampler that had an assortment of foods I had never had before that were all delicious! Some of the things I remember were grilled eggplant, grilled red peppers, frittata, hot salami, salami, mozzarella balls, beans, bruschetta, olives, and some other type of meat (still unknown to me). We also had two bottles of the house wine. Tony, the owner of the shop, informed us that a 'house wine' is the owner's mixture of many different wines and thus is not a single type of wine. A little wine in Italy can go a long way too!

Sunday involved getting up at noon and walking to the Colosseum just to walk back because it was getting dark...a slight disappointment.

I'm working on posting pictures.... 

No comments:

Post a Comment