Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Siena, School and Sweets

Things in Rome have started to slow down. This may be because school is under full way. Mid terms are next week and thus there will not be any traveling until after next week.

On Friday, I took a day trip to Siena. The trip was a school sponsored trip that my housemate, Samantha, and I decided on late in the week.  I wish I could say Siena was exciting, but instead it was just pretty and quaint. I went on my first walking tour and while it was very informative, I found it frustrating because I wanted to go inside many of the buildings and churches that were being shown to us, but we did not have enough time. We finished our tour at a restaurant where we had a three course lunch including spaghettoni (thicker spaghetti) with lamb sauce. Yum! I have found that I love trying new dishes, especially ones I have neither tried nor heard of. I need to eliminate all possible food allergies, right? After lunch we were forced (okay, maybe I was quite willing) to try Siena’s famous dessert, panforte.  This dessert, also meaning ‘gingerbread’, is a very old recipe. Without refrigerators, bakers had to design desserts that didn’t need refrigeration and thus the panforte was born. Using honey, almonds, orange peel and a few other ingredients, this delicious dessert is still popularly made throughout Siena.

Saturday involved a visit to a famous open-air market that is common for tourists, Campo di Fiori. Here, my roommates and I tried hazelnut jam, cinnamon cream liquor and limoncello (popular Italian liqueur).
It was very windy outside today which reminded me of home. I ALMOST miss the weather, but I’m not at that point yet….

No comments:

Post a Comment